Monday, March 29, 2010

The 2010 SXSW experience




I had the opportunity to photograph supermodel Karen Elson for the New York Times. Elson, the wife of White Stripes star Jack White, is making a new career as a singer. Prior to her set I was able to have a short portrait sessions with her at the venue, the French Legation.

She was a real pro and lived up to her down to earth style as everyone claims. It was in the 40s and she posed for almost 20 minutes in a thin vintage gown and even more thin shawl. We did a few different looks and then I waited for nearly 2 hours for her set to begin.

It was great to work with Melena Ryzik of the NYT who's story I suggest you read here,







Later that night Melena and I collaborated again on a story for the NYT Arts blog by party crashing the SXSW after parties. Like a rockstar on the red carpet, I showed up with her and waltzed right through the crowd. Voka Redu, a bounce group from NOLa, opened for No Age, infamous LA punk band, at their exclusive post SXSW party. It was momentarily fun but we decided to roll out to the Green Owl record label party on a rented ranch in Oak Hill to find a different breed of SXSW revellers. Before we arrived the cops had already come twice as bands such as The xx and The Very Best jammed in a barn, that was rumored to be a rave. In the end we made it to 2 parties, retrieved my abandon bicycle and her towed car, and went to breakfast. I happily made it home at 930am!



Love the lighting team at the Parish.


The xx performing at Mohawk.








There were so many people wearing interesting outfits and they keep pushing the envelope of normalcy that I was motivated to start documenting this phenomenon of what seems to be Hipster style meets retro halloween in March. I submitted these photos as part of my assignment for the Statesman, but none were published until now.


The Very Best perform at the Fader Fort day party.


The final day of SXSW the temperature dropped into the 40s and a small crowd trickled into Auditorium Shores for the free shows. This couple did their best to stay warm.

After a week of recovery its now back to normalcy in Austin. It was fun, but I'm stoked its over.

2 comments:

Romina Olson said...

Very very nice Ben!
I love your doc photos.

julia said...

That's a stunning portrait at the top, Ben. Elegant lighting and mood.